Monday 8 August 2011

Vampires

Today, I went for blood tests.

This is not something particularly unusual at the moment - having failed to contract toxoplasmosis at any point in my life (clearly I didn't eat enough raw meat...or something) I have to be checked every month. In France, they don't take samples at the doctor's and you have to go to the lab, but so far, nothing too complicated.

This morning, in addition to my usual tests, I had to get a blood group card made. My UK one isn't considered valid, clearly. Enter French medical bureaucracy...

For a blood group card request to be valid, two samples have to be taken, from two different points, by two different nurses, on the same day. Clearly, if just one nurse stuck needles in my arm, I might be able to bribe her to say I had a different blood type, since, you know, there are vast advantages to be had from being rhesus positive. Or something. Add to that the fact that all the veins in my left arm have gone into hiding (I think they're sick of the needles), and all in all, I had a rather fun morning.

If only getting hold of a Carte Vitale was so simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment