Monday 28 November 2011

This time last month...

Right. Well. I think you can probably guess why I haven't been around for the last month...

Yes. The Baby-Formerly-Known-as-Squidlet was (finally) born on 28th October, and has been keeping Ze Husband and I busy ever since with the whole feeding/nappy changing/feeding/nappy changing thing. So far, we're managing... I've had to reduce my expectations in terms of sleep quite considerably, but I take comfort from the fact that this situation is temporary and I will get some sleep at some point! (Naps are clearly the way forward, in any case. Who needs to sleep for more than three hours at a time, anyway?). 


The Baby-Formerly-Known-as-Squidlet managed to acquire a couple of new names (quite apart from her real name) in the days after her birth, and will henceforth be known as Baby Mole/Bébé Taupe. She was born with quite a lot of hair, which, contrary to the expectations of everyone except her mother, is dark brown and not blonde. Add to that the fact that her eyes were practically black at birth, general newborn short-sightedness and the way she moves her hands when she's looking for milk, and she really did look a lot like a mole... The moleishness has worn off now, but the name has stuck.

We've decided not to post pictures on open-access parts of the internet (or Facebook, for that matter), but if we know you in real life, drop us a line and we'll send you a link.

Now, people of the Internets. Time for you lot to help me with this whole baby thing...

We're thinking about switching to washable nappies (or diapers, for those on the other side of the Atlantic). Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations? Patterns? (Yes, I'm thinking of at least attempting to make one or two to see how that works out. Trying different options here).

Oh, and I also appear to be addicted to Speculoos. Please send help (or more biscuits).

7 comments:

  1. My friend Grace (did you meet her at the wedding perhaps?) is completely enthusiastic about washable nappies. I am sure I could engineer some sort of facebook-based exchange of information on the topic, if you like?

    Hello again to Margaux! Glad you are all well, and hope that you do indeed get some sleep before long...

    JoMo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello My Dear,

    Well, I don't have any personal experience with washable "daipers" as we call them on this side of the pond, but I know Elizabeth does. In Toronto she was fortunate enough to have a daiper service. I'm not sure if there is anything like that near you, but it was super practical for her.

    Much love,
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Félicitations ! Et j'adhère complètement à la description des premières semaines du bébé...
    Pour les couches lavables, j'en utilise depuis plusieurs années (vu qu'on a dû choisir l'écart IDEAL entre les enfants pour ne jamais connaître de période sans couche !) donc n'hésite pas à me poser des questions. ;) En un mot : je trouve ça finalement plus simple que les jetables niveau logistique, pas du tout ce que je redoutais.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Catherine,

    The diaper service was great, albeit expensive. If you have your own personal en-suite laundry (which I don't), then I highly recommend buying or making your own cotton diapers. Just make sure you buy some good-quality waterproof diaper covers, for those inevitable yellow poo explosions that always seem to happen when you're out.

    Tip: yellow poo is one of the worst staining agents I've ever encountered. One fellow mom introduced to the magic of dish detergent, and I never looked back. Just make sure you drown the clothes in detergent while the deed is fresh - yellow poo is powerfully greasy stuff - and scrub as if your clothing-budget depended on it (which it does).

    Lots of love, and better sleep wishes,

    Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Je n'ai pas d'idées pour les bébés, tu m'en donneras toi même plus tard, mais j'ai une recette avec des spéculos si tu veux ! :
    alors pour faire une tarte au framboise tu peux partir d'une pâte à tarte avec des spéculos : tu les piles (casser en morceaux jusqu'à obtenir des miettes) tu les mélange à la main avec du beurre jusqu'à obtenir une pâte homogène, puis tu met au frigidaire 3h, + ou -
    pour le reste tu mélange une boite de mascarpone ( 250g) avec un peu de sucre glace
    puis quand tu veux servir tu étale ton mascarpone sur ta pâte puis tu rajoute des framboise que tu auras fait décongelé à l'avance (tu ne me feras pas croire qu'on trouve des framboises fraiche dans ta région en ce moment !)
    bon ap !

    brazilian Cityhand

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my friends from uni is a cloth diaper fan -- she has a blog about it that I just stumbled upon. Perhaps it will be useful?

    http://adventuresinclothdiapering.blogspot.com/

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore your family's use of nicknames and random funny traditions like collecting penguins and carrots! :) Fun.

    ReplyDelete