Thursday 7 January 2010

Epiphany

Yes, I know it was yesterday, but had I stopped to post photos of what follows there might not have been any left.

J'aime la galette, savez-vous comment? Quand elle est bien faite, avec du beurre dedans...
(Ok, ok, I'll stop singing now)

This, for those who don't recognise it from the mugshot or genuinely don't know what it is, is a Galette des Rois, traditionally eaten in France on 6th January and at any point between this date and the beginning of Lent, from what I gather. Since ze boy and I may well not be in France this time next year and we'll both miss it, I decided I should try making my own this year as a practice run. The ingredients weren't too hard to find, except I forgot to buy a fève- small ceramic figure/object/thingummywotsit that plays the same rôle, more or less, as the sixpence in a Christmas pudding, so I put a dried bean in the galette instead. The person who finds the fève is king for the day and has to wear a daft hat/crown/strange tinfoil object, in our case, for the rest of the day.

Strange tinfoil object, as modelled by the pot plant, who, incidentally, did not find the fève so is sort of cheating, really

Sidenote: Someone, somewhere in the world, is making an absolute FORTUNE from the production of ground almonds. There are 5 euros' worth of ground almonds in there, and that's the supermarket own-brand ones. Maybe I should become an almond farmer when I grow up. Then I could make lots and lots of macarons. Mmmmm. Food. (Trundles off to kitchen in search of biscuits to dunk in tea).

Right. 'mback, I'll try not to get crumbs everywhere. What was I saying? Ah yes. Galette des Rois.

The ladies and gentlemen of the MDL (aka ze boy and his flatmates) decided we should do the whole galette thing properly, meaning I, as the youngest, had to go and sit under the table (what is it with all the confined spaces? First the cupboard, now the table...) so I couldn't see the fève if it escaped during the cutting. I then had to decide, from my position of power under the table, who got which part. See? A fair way of deciding who gets to be king. Très français, methinks.

As it happened, there were leftovers. Leftovers! The fève has not surfaced yet, meaning that a) the galette has won, gets to be king, and there will be a regicide this evening when we finish it off (in true French style), b) someone has swallowed it, or c) it ran off somewhere in the interests of democracy. Hmmmmm. Eeeenteresting.

Happy Orthodox Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment