Thursday 25 March 2010

Books and Prejudice

(AKA Book of the Fortnight, No. 4)

To understand the following, you must realise that, in my lifetime, I have met three people I really, very strongly, dislike. This isn't just dislike, this is just-being-in-the-same-room-as-them-makes-me-shake-with-anger. These are the people I have nightmares about.

(Incidentally, if you're reading this, fear not, you're not one of them).

The book I read last week is the favourite book of one of those people. It's quite a well-known book, and the kind of thing I would almost certainly have read before without this connection. You see, book preferences are such a personal thing, I was certain I wouldn't like it. Then, just last week, I came across this book (OK, OK, I'll get on and break the suspense, but in a minute, d'accord?) in the library, and I thought I'd give it a go. Well, I'm unemployed, and finding something worth reading amongst the Mills and Boon style dross that constitutes 90% of our local library's stock is always hard work.

You know what?

No, I can't say as I've ever met him.

Sorry.

Where was I?

Ah, yes. Well. I LOVED the book. It's been a long time since I've been able to get into something like that. Two days was all it took me, and it's not particularly short.

I might even tell you what the book's called, now.

It's The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood.

Moral of the story: I should lose some of my prejudices- who knows what else they've made me miss?

4 comments:

  1. je connais, (ou je crois connaitre), l'un des 3 ! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. vraiment? tu penses a un certain campeur tete-a-claques? c'est meme pas lui, c'est un tout autre niveau...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tu rates les andouillettes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alors ça, j'ai déjà essayé deux fois, j'ai ecouté la première fois quand tu m'as dit que c'était des mauvaises andouillettes leaderprice, du coup j'en ai mangé une deuxième fois, au resto a Lyon, tu te souviens? Ça, c'est pas des préjugés qui me disent que je n'aime pas les andouillettes, c'est l'experience ^^

    ReplyDelete