Wednesday 14 July 2010

It's all relative

Hellyloes! Yes, I am still alive and functional. Just about.

I thought my life was relatively normal (note the "relative" there, it's important). And then, last Tuesday night, I found myself making chlamydomonas cupcakes. (I was going to put "Chlamydomonas" as the title of this post, but I decided it sounded a bit too much like an STD).

Chlamydomonas, for those of you who are wondering (if you're not, feel free to scroll down to the next paragraph) is a genus of algae, a member of the Volvocales order (algae which have their headlights on even in the daytime?) which Ze Boy has been studying for the last few months. It was his last day at the lab, so I made him cakes to take.

This is a chlamydomonas:
 
From http://plantphys.info/plant_biology/labaids/chlorophyta.shtml- 
credit where credit's due, I do not have the necessary algae-photography skills

Note the flagella (those things that look like antennae- it uses them for swimming) and the big round eye-spot in the middle.

This is a chlamydomonas cake...


It looks so unhappy, poor thing, like a chlamydomonas out of water

...and a whole colony of them!

 

Well, I say a whole colony, but I actually only made 16. A real colony would have about 3000 of them, but that would be one heck of a lot of cake.


Ze Boy and I then proceded to run round the kitchen pretending to swim with our flagella (ummm...the leftover liquorice bootlaces) while the cakes looked on in befuddlement.

And they're letting us get married?

2 comments:

  1. you are one of the most inventive people I know Catherine - those cupcakes are soo cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. inventive, or mildly insane? (wait, I think the two might go together...) Hope you're all doing well over there! :-)

    ReplyDelete