Friday 18 June 2010

Cui Miam Miam

Tonight, we're having people over for dinner, Breton-style.

Ze Boy and I have been thinking about galettes for a couple of weeks now, and, as usual with this kind of thing, we'll only be able to get the idea out of our heads once we've eaten them. Alas, I couldn't find buckwheat flour in Tesco, but I have brown flour, so that'll just have to do. A friend of ours has stealthily imported some proper cider (none of this strongbow nonsense, thank you very much!), so the thing is going to be Done Properly.

For pudding, I must admit to having found inspiration in an Oldelaf et Monsieur D song. After trawling the internet for a recipe (and trying to work out how to spell the damn thing, Google doesn't work if none of the letters in the words match up), I finally found a trustworthy one on a friend's blog. The thing I've made goes by the somewhat unpronouncable name of Kouign Amann, or, to use Ze Boy's version of it, Cui Miam Miam. Actually, he informs me that it's meant to be spelt "couie miam miam", but that sounds a bit too much like something extremely vulgar, so I've gone for the Cui version. In any case, a kouign amann by any other name would still have as much butter in it. Om nom nom.

Back to the cupboard now to hide until our guests arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment