Saturday 12 June 2010

Ties, Damned Ties and Statistics

It's May Ball time in Cambridge at the moment. Why exactly the May Balls are in June is beyond me- surely, with the average intelligence of the Cambridge student population, they could get the name of the month right? Not complaining, though. I like the peculiarities.

The shop I work in has been around for over 120 years and was, for much of its history, a gentlemen's outfitters. A lot of the original shop-fittings are still there- notably a wall of glass-fronted cabinets with brass fittings and pull-out trays full of ties.

This week, with the approach of the May Balls, we've been selling an Awful Lot of Ties. Bow ties, in particular, seem to be doing pretty well this year- I'm not sure if it's something to do with the fact that the new Dr Who wears one, or if the latter is a symptom of the growing popularity of bow ties rather than a cause. I favour the latter theory, I think.

I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this. I got fed up with running up and downstairs for ties yesterday and the phrase "ties, damned ties and statistics" popped into my head, and I just felt the need to use it somewhere.

That's all.

Back to the cupboard now, if it hasn't been invaded by rogue neckwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment