Tuesday 4 October 2011

Update

No, there are still no bump pictures. I have found the camera charger, but in the meantime, we've misplaced the camera. It'll show up eventually, and then YES, if the Squidlet hasn't arrived by then, there will be a bump picture or two!

Now. In case anyone was wondering, I thought I'd post a bupdate (bump update) because Things have been Happening.

Two weeks ago, at my 8th-month checkup, the midwife put me on bedrest for two weeks with anti-contraction medication because things were a bit further on than they should have been at 34 weeks, I'd had some pains the weekend before, and, well, they'd rather the Squidlet stayed put for a bit longer. The bedrest couldn't really have come at a worse time, covering the week before and the week after we moved house, and Ze Husband was en deplacement (away) in Eindhoven for the second week. I did manage to behave myself, though, and, erm, "supervised" the move from a safe (but frustrating) distance. For the second week, I went to stay with the inlaws, A) in case anything happened and B) because our house was still in chaos (also, no running water - a minor problem, clearly).

Last Friday, in spite of the rest and medication, I started having pains again. I eventually phoned the hospital, who told me to have a hot bath, take even more medication, and come in if things didn't improve. The bath and medication seemed to do the trick, so I went to bed.

Saturday, more of the same, only this time, I was having definite contractions on top of the general background pain at fairly regular intervals. We headed to the hospital mid-afternoon to see what was going on. At this point, I was at 35 weeks and 6 days- note that here, a baby born at 36 weeks can be considered full term if they've reached a certain weight. After 6 hours of monitoring, prodding, various blood tests and a scan, they gave me even stronger anti-contraction medication, on the understanding that if that didn't work they'd let things run their course, and sent me home.


That's more or less how things stand for now. I'm coming off all medication on Saturday or if things start moving again before then, and the general consensus is that the Squidlet is not likely to want to stay in for much longer. The scan showed she's a decent size and weight, with no visible health problems, and they haven't found any conditions which might have provoked the contractions- so it all seems to be down to the Squidlet herself having decided it's time.


Off to practice mental metric/imperial weight conversions now- I can't deal with baby weights being in kilos, it just seems wrong somehow!

2 comments:

  1. J'ai connu ça pour mon aînée, courage ! - déménagement inclus, d'ailleurs... Finalement, la coquine ne se décidait plus à sortir une fois les médicaments arrêtés... mais tous les bébés ne sont pas obligés d'être aussi farceurs, n'est-ce pas ? En tous cas, courage pour ces longues looooongues journées, parce que la grossesse au repos, c'est long... - mais c'est comme ça que j'ai appris le tricot alors ça sert toujours. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'est vrai qu'ils sont taquins, ces petits mini-êtres... j'espère qu'elle va pas décider de rester jusqu'au bout quand même, je ne vois vraiment pas comment mon ventre peut continuer a grandir! ;-)

    ReplyDelete