Monday 8 February 2010

Book of the Fortnight, No. 2

Once again, I seem to be running a bit late, but better late than never, right?

This fortnight's book is Isabella: She-wolf of France, Queen of England by Alison Weir. Yes, it's a history book...well, all that education needs to serve some purpose, seeing as up until now it's not managed to get me a job. It looks like quite a long book, but actually, a good quarter of it is notes and references at the end. It's quite satisfying to finish an "educational" book sooner than you expect, even if you are enjoying it. The book also has two picture sections, as this kind of history-for-everyone book often does, which makes for a little light relief part way through.

Anyway (I should stop starting paragraphs with anyway). (I should probably stop using quite so many brackets, too). The subject of the book- Isabella, oddly enough- was the wife of Edward II, who, to all intents and purposes, was A Bit Of A Numpty. Her popular reputation is that of General Evil Queen Type Woman, mainly because of stuff Christopher Marlowe wrote about her 200-odd years after her death. See, spin is nothing new. She's also That French Tart In Braveheart- see, I was sure you'd have come across her before! Alison Weir is one of the "great three" female writers of historical biographies of medival women (yes, yes, I know, it's a very small field..) alongside Antonia Fraser and Anne Somerset, all of whom write books that are very, very readable. Philippa Gregory also deserves a mention here- although she writes fiction it's very well researched, and by 'eck, her books are good (this last phrase should be imagined in the voice of Wallace from Wallace and Gromit. Thank you.)

Anyway (see, I did it again!) (AND the brackets). Isabella kept me occupied for three hours in Lancaster train station, which seriously takes some doing. I really don't like that place, I seem to spend half my life stuck there, and very few things can distract me from clock-watching every time I end up there. I only flicked through to look at the pictures once. If you've never tried reading a history book, this might be a good place to start- and if you don't know what happens, so much the better, that way there's suspense too!

Next book in a fortnight's time. I'd better get going, there are so many books in my cupboard at the moment that I barely fit in it.




No comments:

Post a Comment