Saturday 27 February 2010

Survey

If you look in the side-bar on the right of this page, you'll see I've started a poll. A certain Pomme de Terre Chasseur de Couleurs thinks I should start posting things in French, or carrément start a separate French version of this blog (Non, pas de pingouins, anyone?). Plus Belle Ma Vie thinks it should stay in English. I'm in two minds (nascent schizophrenia? Nah, just the usual mild befuddlement), so I'd like to know what other people think on this question. Writing in French wouldn't pose any problem- after 140 pages on obscure Anglo-Norman medieval history, a blog post now and then is no big deal- but my sense of humour occasionally fails to translate, usually because people aren't expecting it to.

I shall clarify.

When I respond to someone asking if my mother speaks French, for example, by saying "oui, un petit pois", I am not mixing up the words "pois" (pea) and "peu" (bit). I am, instead, repeating a common error made by numerous English speakers of French with the intention of it being funny. (This is, actually, a real example, said to someone who should have known better, who did think I was talking about vegetables).

So. Maybe I will write in French, eef you laike. Mais seulement si vous jurez de ne jamais, ô grand JAMAIS, me prendre au sérieux, and not to judge me for the fact my usual keyboard can't cope with accents.

2 comments:

  1. No writing in french without accents would be like eating a tartiflette without any cheese in it! Like visiting a foie gras farm without degustation! Like covering your whole garden with little stones ( ok, some english people actually do that, but you're not one of them are you?)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Nor do I want to cover the outside of my house with little stones, which numerous English people also do.

    ReplyDelete